Wednesday, May 11, 2011

National Lead's Dutch Boy Lead Paint

Recently, we got a question from someone who was interested in dating a can of Dutch Boy's white lead paint like we showed in a previous blog post on antique paint cans. As I looked into it, I found some cool and interesting information about the origins of Dutch Boy and their lead paints and figured I would link to those sites for those of you who may be interested in the funny history of lead-based paint in America.
I call it funny because they marketed lead paint as the be-all end-all in paint (which I guess it was in its day).  

Take a look at "Dutch Boy's Lead Party" on Weaselmouseonmarketing's blog. It shows how crazy they were about lead paint in the 1920s (including how they marketed it as being kid friendly!).

Also see Wellwooster.com's pages on Lawrence C. Earle, the artist who originally created the Dutch Boy logo. It's a good resource on National Lead, the company who created Dutch Boy Paint.

Also, as a side note, I have to say that while in the "good old days" Dutch Boy was good paint, today it is sold at Sears. Do I need to say more? Buy good paint.

Check out our website at VideoPaintGuide.com

No comments:

Post a Comment