Thursday, December 9, 2010

Antique Paint Cans and Equipment

This week we dropped in to see our dad at the University of Montana paint shop (where he is the foreman). Here are a few shots of the antique paint cans and tools he has collected over the last 30 years:
The UM stencil isn't old, of course.
Some old paint cans! I wish I had some of that sand finish for the baby room.

Note the 3 tiny detail brushes on top. 

Back when Dutch Boy was good paint. The one on the bottom is white
lead and weighs a LOT more than you would expect. Also,
apparently "Adehsium" is the stickiest thing on Earth!

 My dad has a lot more old paint stuff, which I need to get some pictures of. It's interesting to me to see how things change over time, especially marketing. Some of these cans have to be about a hundred years old, although I suspect most come from the 1920's or so. Most of the old brushes were made of horse hair (which is something you don't see in the US these days).

The giant brushes are wall brushes from before the days of rollers--you used
them to paint the entire wall from top to bottom, not just the edges like we do
today.

I wonder if "General Paint" is still around? I bet it's not! From the looks of the label, the soldier means business. That or he is just saluting the customer.





























This one isn't so antique (maybe from the 60's?), but I think it's pretty damn funny.
"Tempo Buckeye" gets the job done. Or something.

Big Bucket is a pretty funny name, if you ask me.
Check out our website at VideoPaintGuide.com

2 comments:

  1. Very cool pictures.

    John Shearer
    shearerpainting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome if you like old paint check out our site Capmatchescolor.com dedicated to Old spray paint cans and the people who use them....

    ReplyDelete